Circus Arts Author
The Circus Arts Author Program is a one-year, full-time training program focused on creation in contemporary circus arts. The aim of the program is to enable participants to deepen and define their circus writing in a way that’s personal, meaningful and original. To achieve this, they will be invited to devote themselves fully to their contemporary writing and their circus arts practice.
A research-based approach
Through this program, NCS offers the time, space and support a creative needs to be able to develop a sound and professional practice that will fit into the circus arts landscape, both in Quebec and internationally.
The program welcomes two students per year. The low teacher-student ratio ensures personalized instruction. Participants will also be called upon to work alongside internationally renowned masters and to share with other passionate creatives.
Studying circus arts creation at NCS means immersing in an investigative process. Each participant will need to question themself, engage in a research process, collaborate, lead teams and continuously redefine their vision to deepen and fine-tune it.
The program focuses on three research pillars:
- The body: the study of physics and circus techniques as a starting point for the invention of new practices.
- Materials, mediation effects and methods of representation: bringing one’s attention to materials (the body, words, costumes, space, decor, time, movement), mediation effects (recording, dubbing, echo, translation) and methods of representation (theatrical space, marquee, black box, exterior or interior ambulatory, etc.).
- Performativity: reflecting on the link between creation and today’s world, particularly with regard to physical, aesthetic and political issues.
- Artistic Advisor
- Creative Assistant
- Has started writing a circus creation
- Has experience in creation
- Is passionate about exceeding the limits of the body and performance
- Is prepared to question what the circus is today
Register for this program
The registration period is over.