The National Circus School of Montreal, a higher-education institution dedicated to training circus artists and educators, is searching for a candidate to fill the following position:
DIRECTOR OF STUDIES
Founded in 1981 and international in scope, the National Circus School is a higher-education institution at the high school and post-secondary levels that is dedicated to the education and training of professional circus artists, educators and directors, as well as to research and innovation in the circus arts.
Recognized internationally for the quality of its training, the NCS receives more than 150 students from across the country and around the world. The NCS's educational and artistic team is composed of more than 80 teachers, artistic advisors and guest artists who provide exceptional and highly personalized coaching. These passionate and experienced professionals have made their mark in the circus, performing arts, high-performance sports and education sectors, both in Canada and abroad. With spacious studios adapted to all disciplines and outfitted with the safest equipment, the NCS offers a world-class learning environment. It also benefits from a seasoned management team, first-rate administrative and support services and excellent financial health.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Studies will direct all educational activities offered by the institution.
- Ensure the evolution of pedagogical practices and teaching activities;
- Oversee the application and review of institutional policies for learning, program evaluation and achievement;
- Ensure compliance with the teaching and assessment regime set out by regulatory bodies;
- Ensure the annual planning of educational activities;
- Manage the recruitment and selection of teaching resources;
- Supervise program managers and the school administration team;
- Oversee and participate in the evaluation of teaching staff and support staff, as well as in skills development;
- Oversee the development of a succession plan;
- Support and participate in the management and evaluation of the Creative Director;
- Participate in the supervision and evaluation of health and safety services offered to students;
- Develop and implement innovative pedagogical approaches;
- Promote teacher participation in research projects conducted by the School's Research Center;
- Ensure the implementation of practices and measures promoting equity, diversity and inclusion among students and staff;
- Represent the institution within industry associations.
PROFESSIONAL REQUIREMENTS AND SPECIFIC SKILLS
- University undergraduate degree in a related discipline or graduate degree in educational administration an asset;
- Ten years of relevant experience in education, preferably in the field of performing arts;
- Eight years of teaching experience at the college or university level;
- Proven management skills;
- Robust knowledge of teaching and of learning evaluation;
- Good understanding of Quebec’s higher-education network and the global network of higher-education schools in the circus arts;
- Experience or a marked interest in techno-pedagogy;
- Excellent knowledge of the professional circus arts environment an asset;
- Fluency in French and English, both oral and written. Functional command of oral Spanish an asset;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and listening skills;
- Ability to demonstrate motivating and inspiring leadership.
If you believe you’re a fit for this position, please submit your application, describing what motivates you and how your experience meets the requirements to be considered for this position, by no later than April 15, 2021 to the following email address: [email protected]
Only selected candidates will be contacted.